dr. U. (Ursula) Daxecker
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Programme group: Political Economy and Transnational Governance
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166 Room number: B8.08
1001 NB Amsterdam
I am associate professor in the Department of Political Science at the University of Amsterdam where I am a member of the research group Political Economy and Transnational Governance. My research interests focus on political violence, with projects on (1) violent and nonviolent collective action during electoral processes and (2) the relationship between crime, violence and politics. My research has been funded by a Veni grant from the Dutch Science Foundation (NWO), a Career Integration Grant from the European Commission's Marie Curie Actions, and the U.S. Department of Defense Minerva Research Initiative.
Please visit my personal website for publications, work in progress, and teaching.
- refereed (9)
- academic (2)
- professional (1)
- popular scientific (1)
- recognitions (13)
- supervised theses (2)
- Prins, B., & Daxecker, U. (2017). Maritime Piracy and Foreign Policy. In W. R. Thompson (Ed.), Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Politics (Oxford Research Encyclopedias). Oxford University Press. DOI: 10.1093/acrefore/9780190228637.013.522
- Daxecker, U., & Prins, B. C. (2017). Financing Rebellion: Using Piracy to Explain and Predict Conflict Intensity in Africa and Southeast Asia. Journal of Peace Research, 54(2), 215-230. DOI: 10.1177/0022343316683436 [details]
- Daxecker, U. (2017). Dirty hands: Government torture and terrorism. Journal of Conflict Resolution, 61(6), 1261-1289. DOI: 10.1177/0022002715603766 [details]
- Bader, J., & Daxecker, U. (2015). A Chinese resource curse? The human rights effects of oil export dependence on China versus the United States. Journal of Peace Research, 52(6), 774-790. DOI: 10.1177/0022343315593332 [details]
- Daxecker, U. E., & Prins, B. C. (2015). Searching for sanctuary: government power and the location of maritime piracy. International Interactions, 41(4), 699-717. DOI: 10.1080/03050629.2015.1016159 [details]
- Daxecker, U. E., & Prins, B. C. (2015). The New Barbary Wars: Forecasting Maritime Piracy. Foreign Policy Analysis, 11(1), 23-44. DOI: 10.1111/fpa.12014 [details]
- Daxecker, U., & Prins, B. C. (2015). Enforcing order: Territorial reach and maritime piracy. Conflict Management and Peace Science, 34(4), 359-379. DOI: 10.1177/0738894215594756 [details]
- Prins, B. C. (Author), Daxecker, U. (Author), & Sanford, A. (Author). (2014). Terror on the seas: assessing the threat of modern day piracy. Web publication/site, Washington: The SAIS Review of International Affairs.Retrieved from http://saisreview.org/2014/02/10/terror-on-the-seas-assessing-the-threat-of-modern-day-piracy/ [details]
- Daxecker, U., & Schneider, G. (2014). Election monitoring: the implications of multiple monitors for electoral integrity. In P. Norris, R. W. Frank, & F. Martínez i Coma (Eds.), Advancing electoral integrity (pp. 73-93). New York: Oxford University Press. DOI: 10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199368709.003.0005 [details]
- Daxecker, U., & Jung, A. (2018). Mixing Votes with Violence: Election Violence around the World. SAIS Review, 38(1), 53-63. DOI: 10.1353/sais.2018.0005
- Prins, B., & Daxecker, U. (2017). Somali pirates just hijacked an oil tanker. Here’s what pirates want — and where they strike. Washington Post.
- Daxecker, U. (2013). Voting and Violence (NWO-Veni Grant).
- Daxecker, U. (editor) (2017). International Interactions (Journal).
Talk / presentation
- Daxecker, U. (invited speaker) (5-12-2018). Challenges and New Frontiers in Micro and Meso-Level Conflict Data Collection and Analysis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Daxecker, U. (invited speaker) (24-10-2018). The metrics of stability in a multi-dimensional perspective, Projecting stability in an era of hybrid warfare and terrorism: which NATO role?, Bertinoro, Italy.
- Daxecker, U. (invited speaker) (10-10-2018). Presentation on Global Security Program, University of Glasgow.
- Daxecker, U. (invited speaker) (21-6-2018). Pirates lands: Governance and maritime piracy, KITLV/Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies, Leiden.
- Daxecker, U. (invited speaker) (11-6-2018). Research Workshop and Research-Policy Dialogue on Elections in Emerging Democracies, Folke Bernadotte Academy.
- Daxecker, U. (invited speaker) (15-5-2018). Workshop on Political Violence, University of Texas at Dallas.
- Daxecker, U. (invited speaker) (27-2-2018). Workshop Beyond Political Violence, University of Essex.
- Daxecker, U. (invited speaker) (9-5-2017). Election Violence,” IR Colloquium, Department of International Relations, IR Colloquium, Department of International Relations, University of Oxford.
- Daxecker, U. (invited speaker) (21-3-2017). Institutional Bias and Election Violence, Workshop on Electoral Violence, King’s College London.
- Daxecker, U. (organiser), Birch, S. (organiser) & Krause, J. (organiser) (15-2-2018 - 16-2-2018). Election Violence Research Workshop, Amsterdam, Netherlands (organising a conference, workshop, ...).
- Daxecker, U. (chair) (15-8-2017). Forum Alpbach. Seminar in Conflict and Cooperation (organising a conference, workshop, ...).
- No ancillary activities