Ms A.G. (Andrea) Forster
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Programme group: Institutions, Inequalities and Life courses
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166 Room number: B.6.12
1001 NA Amsterdam
I am a PhD student at the Sociology department of the University of Amsterdam and affiliated with the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR) and the programme group Institutions, Inequalities and Life courses (IIL). My PhD research focuses on the influence of educational institutions on social differentials in individual educational pathways. My research interests include the sociology of education, social stratification and mobility, education and labour market outcomes as well as quantitative methodology.
PhD project: Why Do Institutions Matter for Equality? Individual-level Mechanisms of Educational Inequality in Comparative Perspective
My project examines how and why inequality in education develops between students of different social origin. Broadly, I investigate how social, cultural and economic resources of students and their families influence educational outcomes. In particular, I study how informed students and parents are about education, how they form beliefs about education based on information and resources, and how they subsequently make decisions about educational trajectories. A further focus of the project is on how these micro-level mechanisms differ across different national educational systems. The question, thereby, is if certain resources and mechanisms have a higher importance in some institutional settings than in others. I use longitudinal panel data in different countries as well as register data to compare individual-level trajectories across educational systems. The PhD project is part of the NWO-VICI project "Between institutions and social mechanisms: education and inequality in comparative perspective".
Supervision: Prof. Dr. Herman van de Werfhorst and Dr. Thomas Leopold
For more information about my research please visit my personal website.
- Forster, A. G., & Bol, T. (2017). Vocational education and employment over the life course using a new measure of occupational specificity. Social Science Research.
- Forster, A. G. (Author). (2017). Levensloopeffecten van beroepsgericht onderwijs: De valkuil van vocational decline. Web publication/site, EcBo Expertisecentrum Beroepsonderwijs.
- van de Werfhorst, H. (Author), Forster, A. (Author), & Bol, T. (Author). (2016). Is more vocational education the answer?. Web publication/site, Education & Skills Today . [details]
- Forster, A.G. (2016): SER-Scriptieprijs 2016 voor: masterscriptie "A vocational decline?".
- Forster, Andrea (2016): Research Master Thesis Prize.
- No ancillary activities