dr. S.A.E. (Sarah) Bracke
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Programme group: Political Sociology: Power, Place and Difference
Room number: B 6.20
1001 NA Amsterdam
Sarah Bracke is Associate Professor of Sociology of Gender and Sexuality at the University of Amsterdam. Before joining the Sociology Department at the UvA, she worked as a senior researcher at the Center of Expertise on Gender, Diversity, and Intersectionality (RHEA) at the Vrije Universiteit Brussels, to which she remains affiliated, and as Associate Research Professor of Sociology at Ghent University.
She was trained in Sociology of Religion and Culture as well as Philosophy at the KU Leuven, and holds a Ph.D. in Women’s Studies from Utrecht University. She previously held appointments as Marie-Curie Fellow at the Department of Anthropology (2006-2007), UC Santa Cruz, as Visiting Fellow in the Program in Critical Theory (2011), UC Berkeley, as Research Associate and Visiting Professor in the Women's Studies in Religion Program (2013-2014), Harvard Divinity School, and as Visiting Scholar at the Center for European Studies (2014-2015), Harvard University. She is an executive editor of the on-line journal Religion and Gender.
She has written extensively about gender, religion (Islam and Christianity), secularism, and multiculturalism in Europe, with a focus on questions of subjectivity and agency. She has also produced the documentary Pink Camouflage (2009) on the use of the rhetoric of LGBT rights within current civilizational geo-politics.
- Intersections: Class, Race, Gender, Sexuality (Sociology, BSc programme, mandatory course)
- Introduction to Gender and Sexuality (Interdisciplinary Minor Gender and Sexuality, core course)
- Intersections of Culture, Sexuality & Gender (Sociology, MSc programme, Gender and Sexuality track, core course)
- Dutiful Citizenship (Sociology, MSc programme, elective course)
- Sexual Variations (Sociology, BSc programme, elective course)
- Dutiful Citizenship (Sociology, MSc programme, elective course)
- "Religion and Race: A Story of Conceptual Entanglement" (keynote lecture), On the Edge? Centres and Margins in the Sociology of Religion, The British Sociological Association Sociology of Religion Annual Conference, University of Leeds, Leeds, 12-14 July 2017.
- "Secular Nostalgia" (invited speaker at lecture series), Konfiguration des Säkularen: Einblicke in die kritische Säkularismusforschung, Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin, 29 June 2017.
- Lezing op Feminisme. Terug van nooit weggeweest, boekpresentatie van het meest recente boek van Anja Meulebelt, Atria, Amsterdam, 22 juni 2017.
- Response to "Whither Postcolonial Europe? New Racisms, New Solidarities" by Paul Silverstein, NWO workshop Critique of Religion; Framing Jews and Muslims in Public Debate and Political Theory Today, in the Light of the Genealogies of Such Framings, UvA, Amsterdam, 21-24 June 2017.
- Response to "Neoliberalism, Intersectionality and Feminism: The Governmentalizing of Dissenting Knowledges in Research and Teaching” by Sirma Bilge, Gender Research Seminar Intersectionality: Theory, Concepts, Methods, VUB, Brussels, 18-19 May 2017.
- Bracke, S., Dupont, W., & Paternotte, D. (2017). "No prophet is accepted in his own country": Catholic anti-gender activism in Belgium. In R. Kuhar, & D. Paternotte (Eds.), Anti-Gender Campaigns in Europe (pp. 41-58). Rowman & Littlefield.
- Bracke, S. (2017). Strange Questions, Queerish Souls? Resisting the Woman Question in a Contemporary Catholic Movement (Comunione e Liberazione). S&F Online, 14(2).
- Bracke, S., Lefranc, L., & Van Ertvelde, A. (in press). Unruly Bodies: Struggles with Normativity, Autonomy, and Materiality. DiGeSt (Journal of Diversity and Gender Studies), 4(2).
- Bracke, S., Lefranc, L., & Van Ertvelde, A. (Eds.) (in press). Unruly Bodies. DiGeSt (Journal of Diversity and Gender Studies), 4(2).
- Rondelez, E., Bracke, S., Roets, G., Vandekinderen, C., & Bracke, P. (2017). Diasporic Muslims, Mental Health, and Subjectivity: Perspectives and Experiences of Mental Health Care Professionals in Ghent. DiGeSt (Journal of Diversity and Gender Studies), 4(1), 63-84. DOI: 10.11116/DiGeSt.4.1.4
- Bracke, S. (2016). Bouncing Back. Vulnerability in Times of Resilience. In J. Butler, Z. Gambetti, & L. Sabsay (Eds.), Vulnerability in Resistance. Towards a Feminist Theory of Resistance and Agency (pp. 52-75). Duke University Press.
- Bracke, S. (2016). Is the Subaltern Resilient? Notes on Agency and Neoliberal Subjects. Cultural Studies, 30(5), 839-855. DOI: 10.1080/09502386.2016.1168115
- Bracke, S., & Paternotte, D. (2016). Habemus Gender! The Catholic Church and 'Gender Ideology'. Religion and Gender, 6(2), 143-154.
- Bracke, S., & Paternotte, D. (2016). Unpacking the Sin of Gender. Religion and Gender, 6(2), 143-154. DOI: 10.18352/rg.10167 [details]
- Rondelez, E., Bracke, S., Roets, G., & Bracke, P. (2016). Racism, Migration, and Mental Health. Theoretical Reflections from Belgium. Subjectivity, 9(3), 313-332. DOI: doi:10.1057/s41286-016-0003-9
- Bracke, S. (2017). On knowing how it feels. Ethnography, 18(3), 390-392. DOI: 10.1177/1466138117721723
- Bracke, S., Fadil, N., & Roucoux, G. (2016). Interroger, conceptualiser et engager une trans/formation de soi: Entretien avec Sarah Bracke. Comment s'en sortir?, (3), 26-41.
- Paternotte, D., Case, M. A., & Bracke, S. (2016). The Sin of Turning Away from Reality: An Interview with Father Krzysztof Charamsa. Religion and Gender, 6(2), 226-246. DOI: 10.18352/rg.10168 [details]
- Bracke, S. (2017). The Power of the Word. An Ode and Confession to Fatema Mernissi. In N. Mokhtari (Ed.), Fatema's Dreams of Transgress. Defaulting the Boundaries of Islamic Feminism Rabat: Université Internationale de Rabat Publications Series.
- Bracke, S., & Kaufner, I. (2016). Sexualités et nationalisme. Politique: revue de débats, (95).
- Bracke, S., Celis, K., Coene, G., & Withaeckx, S. (2016). Toen donderde het in Keulen. Samenleving en politiek: tijdschrift voor een democratisch socialisme, 2016(5), 13-19.
- Bracke, Sarah (editor) (2012-): Religion and Gender (Journal).
Keynote / invited lecture
- Bracke, Sarah (keynote speaker) (14-7-2017): Religion and Race: A Story of Conceptual Entanglement, On the Edge? Centres and Margins in the Sociology of Religion, Leeds, United Kingdom.
- Bracke, Sarah (invited speaker) (29-6-2017): Secular Nostalgia, Konfiguration des Säkularen, Berlin, Germany.
- Bracke, Sarah (invited speaker) (23-6-2017): Response to "Whither Postcolonial Europe? New Racisms, New Solidarities", by Paul Silverstein, Critique of Religion, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Bracke, Sarah (invited speaker) (19-5-2017): Response to "Neoliberalism, Intersectionality and Feminism: The Governmentalizing of Dissenting Knowledges in Research and Teaching", by Sirma Bilge, Intersectionality: Theory, Concepts, Methods, Brussels, Belgium.
- No ancillary activities